Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The 50 Books I Must Read Before I Die

Most people have an incredible bucket list with all kinds of exciting adventures on it but I've never made one and I really don't have a lot of things I want to do that I haven't already done. I'll have to work on a bucket list but until then... I have a list of books that I must read. I've sort of made a conglomerate of others' lists. Lots of people and companies have made their list so I took a few from this list and a few from that and formed mine. Here is my list....

1. Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
2. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
3. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
4. Clarissa by Samuel Richardson
5. Emma by Jane Austen
6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
7. Nightmare Abbey by Thomas Love Peacock
8. The Counte of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
9. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
10. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
11. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
12. Little Women by Louisa M Alcott
13. Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
14. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
15. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome
16. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
17. The Diary of a Nobody by George Gossmith
18. The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan
19. Nineteen Eight-Four by George Orwell
20. Catcher in the Rye by J.K. Salinger
21. Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor
22. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
23. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkein
24. Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
25. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
26. The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass
27. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
28. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
29. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
30. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
31. Dracula by Bram Stoker
32. Scriptures (bible, BoM, PoGP, and D&C) by Various Authors
33. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
34. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
35. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
36. The Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
37. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
38. Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
39. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
40. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
41. The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow
42. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
43. Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
44. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkein
45. Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
46. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
47. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
48. Persuasion by Jane Austen
49. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
50. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

Kami (my 16 year old "daughter") helped me make the little scroll chart on the side so I can keep track of which books I've read. I'm very excited about this!! :)

6 comments:

The Piersons said...

I recently just finished The Alchemist...I loved it!!

A said...

Do you have an mp3 player? I know its not quite the same as actually reading the book but... It looks like most of your books are classics that have copyrights that have expired and are now in the public domain. You can download them as audiobooks for free from librivox.org or
booksshouldbefree.com

Lin Ryals said...

Awesome!! Thanks for the links! :)

H2 said...

I want a list but don't really want to make one. Maybe I will just steal yours! Sounds like something I would do :)

Lin Ryals said...

Tami, there are TONS of lists online. I just combined them and made my own. hehe! You may steal mine, Kami did! :)

Morgan said...

One of my favorites is My Name is Asher Lev by Chiam Potok. And The Gift of Asher Lev. Also Anna Karenina ( I haven't finished it because Tolstoy is crazy longwinded but there are these tiny parts that make the other prior 100 pages totally worth it. Oh how I love books.