Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Oat-balls

There is probably a better name for these than this but it's what my kids call them. hehe! It is a favorite snack for them. It's our go-to snack because I normally have all the ingredients needed in our pantry and.... *whisper* it's healthy!. Yay! And here's the thing with them, all the ingredients are interchangeable which is wonderful. So, here is what I use but you can change them out.

 Ingredients:

  • 1 c oats
  • 1/2 c peanut butter, I recommend the natural kind b/c it has no high fructose corn syrup or sugar added. I prefer the peanut only one or sometimes the peanut and salt... no sugar needs to be added. Peanut butter is good all on it's own. (or sunbutter, almondbutter, soybutter, or whatever butter you prefer using.)
  • 1/3 c honey (local is the best but it can be very expensive)
  • 1 c coconut 
  • 1/2 c raisins
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Some ppl don't like coconut or raisins. Change them.... nuts, chocolate chips, flax seed...etc. You just need to make sure there is the right amount of wet vs dry ingredients in it. In face, I rarely measure the ingredients. This is just a guess. Sometimes I double it too. I just never know. I add until they can roll into balls.

 Then you just mix them all together until it's the right consistency. You could roll them into balls at this point but they'll be a little too sticky. It's easier if you put them in the fridge for about 30 minutes or so.
 Then, roll them into balls and eat. Ours normally only last a day so I'm not really sure how long they'd last. haha! Sorry. But we all love them and this is the perfect size for our little family. If friends are over or I'm taking snacks to a play date then I'll double or triple the batch but everyone always loves them!

No comments: