Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Daughter of Jephthah

Scriptures to Read:
Judges 11:30, 34-40

The Story:
Jepthah was a chosen captain over the armies of Israel. He was a great servant of the Lord who made one big error. He made a vow that if the Lord delivered the enemy to him then Jephthah would offer a sacrifice of the first thing that comes out of his house to meet him. Unfortunately, he didn't think it would be his daughter -- it was.
Jepthah was upset, rent his clothes, and wanted to find a way to take back his vow. His daughter said, "Father, Let this thing be done for me." -- Her sacrifice was -- "she knew no man".

"'...and she knew no man' is not in harmony with the assumption of a sacrificed death. This clause would add nothing to the description in that case, since it was already known that she was a virgin. The words only gain their proper sense if we connect them with the previous clause, he 'did with her according to the vow which he had vowed,' and understand them as describing what the daughter did in fulfillment of the vow. The father fulfilled his vow upon her, and she knew no man. He fulfilled the vow through the fact that she knew no man but dedicated her life to the Lord, as a spiritual burn offering in a lifelong chastity." (Keil and Delitzsch, Commentary 2:1:392-93)

My Thoughts:
I love the strength this woman shows. There is a strong and obvious commitment to her earthly father and her Heavenly Father.
Sacrifice and vows are not common in today's society nor respected. I have so much respect for this young woman and the example she should be and is.

The hymn, "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go" pops in my mind.
"So trusting my all t they tender care, and knowing thou loves me, I'll do thy will with a heart sincere: I'll be what you want me to be. I'll go where you want me to go, dear Lord, Over mountain or plain or sea; I'll say what you want me to say, dear Lord; I'll be what you want me to be."

I hope I can follow this young woman's example and do what I need to do to please the Lord.


No comments: