Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ostara

I am weird. I know this. Most people know of Ostara as the pagan holiday to welcome in the light and the marriage of the Sun God and the Maiden Goddess. The traditions on this holiday is a feast and the symbols of this day are the egg and rabbit. Hmmmm... does that sound like a familiar holiday? So, what we do is the pagan traditions of Easter are celebrated on Ostara and then for Easter we focus on Christ. We do an activity every day leading up to Easter about the last week of Christ's life. What we do can be found here, here, and here. :)

So, now I know you're all dying to know what we did yesterday. First, we had to give ourselves affirmations. Ronni's was, "I will not be bossy." Collin's was, "I will control my temper." And mine was, "I will have patience with my children."

Then, of course, we had to have our Ostara baskets.
Our FHE activity was a Spring Egg Hunt:

Then we came inside for an Ostara feast:
We had watermelon, spinach soup (the kids hated it!) and asparagus gratin (this was a BIG hit!! All enjoyed it!).
Dessert was:
strawberry and cream-cheese roll with apricot sauce on top. This one was a hit too!! =o)

Happy Ostara!!! (March 21)

2 comments:

alecia said...

Very cool. I'm hungry now!

Necha said...

You are not weird. I think it's a great idea. We start with the Easter Bunny stuff right about now, and then the last week it's more about Christ...we have our Easter Tomb thing we do all week. Anyway...so kind of similar. But they do get an Easter Basket on Easter. But we do egg hunts the day before.