Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I probably shouldn't admit this to the world....

...but, luckily the world doesn't read my blog. ;) Today I feel like I must the worst mom ever. I think I have completely failed my children. If someone asks be what is the most important blessing I've ever had in my life my immediate answer would be, "my children." Then, if someone asks me what my biggest challenge has been in my life, my immediate answer would be, "my children." They are wonderful. Both of them have such great personalities and I am sooooo grateful that I get to spend everyday with them. They have such sweet spirits and are tons of fun. However, somedays they really don't obey at all. Is this normal? Most blogs I read from other moms make it sound as if they have the perfect children who obey them all the time. haha! Not me!

For example, I decided to take a shower this morning. Yeah, I really need those once in a while. I normally take them at the gym but we've had runny noses so the kids couldn't stay in the daycare at the gym so we stayed home today. I bolt locked the doors that go to outside and told the kids they had to stay on the couch and I turned on Rugrats. As soon as I stepped under the water the kids bang on the bathroom door yelling that they need juice. Well, I couldn't get them juice so they yelled at me so I sent them back to the couch. Soon, Ronni was screaming right outside my door. "What is going on?" I yelled. Ronni replied that Collin was blocking her from getting in the bathroom and she had to pee. I yelled to get Collin from in front the door so Ronni could get in. Then she couldn't get out for the same reason. I had to yell at Collin again. Then they were screaming in the living room. I knocked on the wall of the shower (living room is on the other side of it) trying to get them to call down and then they started banging on the wall. *sigh*

In Jan I went to a class for mothers with young children. Well, I go every month but in January it was about patience and how we shouldn't yell at our children. I normally do really well but in mornings like this... ack! I have been told that I play too much with my children and they can't entertain themselves. Then, when I let them play on their own I am told by others that I shouldn't ignore my children. I am always getting told what I'm doing wrong with them. I know that I shouldn't listen to others but these are experienced moms and I feel that they know better than I do but they contradict themselves. Maybe I just need a day off or a few hours off.... hmmmmm.... I'll have to work something out.

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I LOVE my children and they really are not bad children we just all have bad days and I think today all three of us are having a bad day on the same day. I just needed to vent. If you read this then thanks for listening. I am going to try to not let my bad day overlap with theirs anymore. Hopefully the rest of the day I will be smiling and happy no matter what they are doing. :)

6 comments:

Tom and Juli said...

You're doing great Linda. Whenever I try to do shat other moms suggest it often back fires on me because I'm doing it for the wrong reason. I've learned to just do what I at the moment feel is best because I'm the mom of my children and what I decide is probably best. Although it is really hard when other moms chime in just to ignore thier suggestions. I Hope your day gets better.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that you had a rough morning! It's so hard when all you want is 10 minutes of relaxation to take your shower in peace. I wish I could give you advice but you know more about this mommy thing than me.

alecia said...

Oh, this is so nice to read for me as a mother who often struggles with this, and I look at you as a very skilled mother. I was listening to a podcast today about Julie B Beck's mom who said, "Children are people, and they have good days and bad days just like other people." (which helped me be slightly calmer when my kid was freaking out at Target 20 minutes later...) I think you are so right that it was just a coinciding bad day for all of you.
Highly recommend the first half of that podcast for a recharge in motherhood! http://radio.lds.org/eng/programs/conversations-episode-15

B said...

You are a super mom! We all have bad days:) from my friend and mother of 8: "if you didn't have the bad days, you couldn't appreciate the good ones! You're a great mother, sometimes kids just don't want anyone else to know it. Ü" I just posted a similar post on my blog:( But today was better - hooray:)

and if you're up for some more reading: http://lds.org/ensign/1976/03/when-you-feel-inadequate-as-a-mother?lang=eng&query="joy+of+motherhood"

http://lds.org/general-conference/2008/04/daughters-of-god?lang=eng&query="joy+of+motherhood"

tommorrow is another day:)

Lin Ryals said...

You ladies are Awesome! I will look up all the suggestions a little later. Thank You!

Sylvia said...

"Experienced mothers" are experienced being mothers to their own children. You are the most experienced at being the mother to your own children. Be true to your own family and you have nothing to worry about. From what I can see, the only "fault" you have is trying too hard to the best mom possible. And really, if that is your biggest fault, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Is it really a problem if someday the kids talk about their childhood by saying, "when I was little, my mom played with me all the time?"