Sunday, May 13, 2012

a celebration of joy or despair and depression...


I was walking through the halls of church today and a gentleman smiled at me and said, "Happy day of depression and despair."
I grinned at him and replied, "What?"
"Oh, that's what most people think of motherhood. Seems silly to celebrate it."
A giggle erupted from my mouth. I thought it was the most absurd thing I had ever heard. Despair and depression? I told him, "No, I love being a mom." He didn't have a response to that and we both went off in our own directions. It just made me so sad that some people think this day is to commemorate the despair they feel from being a mom.
This conversation made me really think about these women who think that being a mom is depressing. Do their kids notice this? If a parent doesn't want to be a mom then will it show to the children, causing them to be more disrespectful and "naughty" to get the attention of their mother? Will this then cause the child's mother to feel more despair for her child causing a never ending cycle? Of course it will!
Taking care of children takes some work. Everyday I have to get into the mood because, being human, I often just want to sleep.
  1. Have some "me" time. -- Take a few minutes to stop and breath. I do my scripture study, family prayer then turn up the music and do our morning chores.
  2. Cuddle, talk and listen. -- I grab one of the kids and snuggle on the couch for a few minutes. I also take this time to talk to the child and find out what he or she wants to do. What would be fun for that child to do? I generally repeat this with both of the kids.
  3. Take action. -- Then, I make one of their desires come true --- a family walk, a hike through the local woods, go for a ride, have a bowl of ice cream, run outside and play tag... etc Just whatever they want that is do-able at that time.
I think that taking the time to take care of me and then taking the time to listen and talk to my children and then show through my actions that I was listening strengthens our relationship which helps us to have find that daily joy.
 It just really saddens me that some moms think of my life as depressing and full of despair because it is truly anything but that! My children are my joy and my life. They make me laugh daily and make my heart swell with more love than I ever thought I could feel. This is not a day of despair but a day of joy. I am so happy to be a mom!

1 comment:

Alyssa McVey said...

Wow. I've never thought of being a mommy as depressing! Sure, there are tough days, but I've never regretted choosing this life!