Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A Boy and His Dog

Most of my friends know that my 9 year old son has Sensory Processing Disorder. Well, since we adopted Minion, we've seen some interesting things going on around our home. 
I don't know how much you know about Sensory Processing Disorder or SPD, but the basic idea is that the person with SPD cannot process senses like everyone else. Sometimes my son needs extra sensory because he can't feel it and other times he feels too much. Normally, my son doesn't feel enough sensory, so he craves it which is often mistaken for ADHD. Anyways....

His at-home therapy, that he can self regulate now, is heavy work. So, it includes things like....









This is a weighted blanket. They are very expensive. The other option is to have a big dog. So... something like this... :) 
Some of his heavy work also involves big hugs or wrestling. We do pillow fights or crash onto the bean bag. Some people buy expensive things like this... 
Another option is....
Just letting your child hug and play with a dog. :) 

Children with SPD often have trouble socially and making friends. Lucky for my son, he has Minion.
They read together.

They hang out together.
My son has never smiled so much. He has always been a happy kid but he's always laughing now when he's around Minion. He also goes out and plays willingly instead of me forcing him to go out and get away from the electronics. He just goes out and plays fetch with Minion until they are both tired. They have formed an amazing bond. He's going to be the dog my son misses while he's on his mission or in college and the dog is going to miss him. I'm so glad we got him. Yes, he has skin allergies and yes, he drools and yes, he loves to give kisses and yes, he only has one eye and tends to run into everything. But, it just gives us more reason to love him. Isn't he just adorable?


No comments: