Saturday, March 17, 2012

Our Glorious Mother Eve

Genesis 1:26-30, 2:21-25
Eve (and Adam) is created. They are commanded to multiply and replenish the earth. They are also given dominion over the earth and everything on it.
Men and women are given dominion over the earth and creatures in it. We are to care for his creations. I love this idea! I love that we have this amazing gift that we can respect and love any time we want to. It is such a beautiful gift that I am so grateful for. 

Genesis 2:23-35
Eve was created from Adam and they were married.
She became his “helpmeet” which came from ezer-kenegdo. Which translates to “help to be apparent in front of opposite or counterpart”. Obviously, I don’t speak Hebrew so this came from Women of the Old Testament by Camille Fronk Olsen.  
Genesis 3:1-19
Eve is beguiled by the Serpent and asks Adam to partake of the fruit too. The Lord gives them their consequences. The consequence for women was increased discomfort and size during the condition and process of pregnancy (foot notes in vs 16).
In the book Women of the Old Testament, the author discusses the different ways that people view the choice that Eve made. Some people see her as the cause of the world’s woes and the loss of paradise for humankind. However, others consider Eve’s decision to be courageous and part of God’s plan. My husband and I were discussing this and we both agree that we see her as someone who knew what she was supposed to do so she did it. The difference in our opinions is that I think she was courageous for making that choice. She knew she would not be able to stay in the Garden of Eden—that was all she knew. But she knew that in order for mortality to happen then leaving the Garden had to happen first. I think it took as much courage as the pioneers – to go forth into the unknown to help the work of the Lord move on.
Genesis 3:20
Eve is given her name because she’s the mother of all things living.
Eve means “Life Giver”. In Doctrine and Covenants 138:39, Eve is referred to as “our glorious Mother Eve”. I absolutely love that. It’s such a great adjective – glorious. :)
 
Genesis 4:1-2
This is when Eve has children, starting with Cain and Abel.  
 



Remember that I have that list of questions about each woman I learn about in the scriptures. Well, now is the time to answer them about Eve. Here is the list of questions if you want to copy and paste them to your own blog. Make sure that you leave a comment if you decide to participate so I can read your thoughts on Eve, too. :)

1- What is unique about this woman and her story?
2- How does she fit into the time period in which she lived?
3- What Christlike qualities does she exemplify?
4- What would I ask her if I could meet her?
5- How can I relate to her?
6- What can I (or someone else I know) learn from her experiences?

My answers:

1- What is unique about this woman and her story?
Eve was the first woman on the earth. She had no other women to talk to about things. What is the best way to raise a child? What do I do if the baby won't sleep? None of these things! She had no one! She and Adam had to figure out parenthood on their own. She was also the first one to take that "leap of faith". I still think that "Our Glorious Mother" is such a great fit for her! :)
2- How does she fit into the time period in which she lived?
Aww... hehe! She was a trend-setter. LOL! Well, she was!
3- What Christlike qualities does she exemplify?
She sacrificed her perfect life for Motherhood. Yeah, that sounds so familiar. Although, not perfect before but life as a mother certainly gets harder than before. However, she sacrificed her life in the Garden of Eden to have children and be mortal. That is a big sacrifice! I'm not sure if I could have given up that life. 
4- What would I ask her if I could meet her?
I would want her to describe the beauty of the earth when she knew it, before it was touched by mortal beings. I bet it was amazing!
5- How can I relate to her?
She experienced the loss of a child and so did I. Of course, mine didn't kill anyone so it's a bit different for me.... "/ 
6- What can I (or someone else I know) learn from her experiences?
I think the greatest lesson that I learned from her is that mortality and children are worth losing the Garden of Eden. =o) I mean, I love my children. I know they are worth it and I know that mortality is necessary for us to learn the things that we need to learn. This life is necessary for us to return to live with Heavenly Father but sometimes I wonder if we could have just taken the easy way and just stayed with Heavenly Father. When I think of Eve's experience I know the answer to that is "no". There wasn't an easy way for us to learn the things that we need to learn. We must experience life in order to return to Heavenly Father and Eve knew that and sacrificed her "easy" life so that she could experience this mortal one to return to Heavenly Father.

No comments: