Sunday, March 25, 2012

Behind Every Good Man is a Good Woman (Noah's Wife)



How would you feel if your husband came to you and said, "The Lord is going to flood the earth, dear. We are going to build a giant boat and carry at least two of every single animal on it while all our friends are destroyed in the flood. So... let's get building?" I think I'd just stand there and stare at my husband for a while and think he had gone looney. Which is, of course, what many of the people thought of Noah as he was telling them that. The only people who believed Noah were his wife, three sons (Shem, Ham, and Japheth), and the sons' wives.

Genesis 7:7
-Noah's wife and his 3 daughters-in-law went with Noah onto the ark.
Genesis 8:16
-Noah's wife and his 3 daughters-in-law left the ark.

That's pretty much all that is said of them. However, I cannot imagine the strength of faith this woman must have had and how much she trusted her husband.

Time for our questions to ask ourselves:

  1. What is unique about this woman and her story?
  2. How does she fit into the time period in which she lived?
  3. What Christlike qualities does she exemplify?
  4. What would I ask her if I met her?
  5. How can I relate to her?
  6. What can I learn from her experiences?

  1. What is unique about this woman and her story?
    I don't think there is any other woman in history who can say that she lived in an ark for 40 days with seven other people and hundreds of animals and bugs while the rest of the earth was destroyed. I think that is pretty unique. ;)
  2. How does she fit into the time period in which she lived?
    She probably didn't fit in well with the other ladies because her husband was laughed at and talked about. I don't think I would associate with people who thought my husband was a loon.
  3. What Christlike qualities does she exemplify?
    Obedience and Faith. It would take a lot of faith to obey the commandment that she and her husband were given.
  4. What would I ask her if I met her?
    How very cool was the first rainbow ever?
  5. How can I relate to her?
    I understand what it's like to associate with people who possibly don't like you too much.
  6. What can I learn from her experiences?
    There are lots of things we can learn from her. She was obviously very good with changes. I mean, she was suddenly the only mother on earth. She had daughters-in-law but they weren't mothers yet. They only had one person to go to for mothering advice. The women in this story also had to have a huge amount of faith and trust in themselves, their husband/father-in-law, and in the Lord. What amazing examples!

No comments: