Saturday, October 29, 2011

Our reward system...

People have asked me for details recently so I thought I'd repost this from one of my other blogs here. :)  We've been using this system since April 2010 and LOVE it!! :)

Okay... my kids earn "Daddy Dollars" or "Mommy Money" by completing tasks/chores/school, good behavior or whatever I want the kids to do. Then they get to go to the "Mommy Mart" to spend the 'money'. It can be small toys/candy/tv time/computer time/family walks/game night/movie night/out for icecream...etc. Whatever you can think of that your kids would enjoy. You go to this site to print out the money.
Here's our money (it's me b/c dh wouldn't pose for a pic, I didn't have a good one of him and he didn't want it on there anyways -- the bum!! haha! )



  • Here's the chart that I made. I used a manilla folder and folded it so that it was a tri-fold (lapbook style:).
    This is the inside ---

    Here is the outside. This is where the kids' money that they've earned goes --

    Here's a close up of jobs and rewards -- remember, my kids are 5 and 3 so I thought the pictures would be useful. 5 yo can read some words but I thought this would be more helpful for him.I do need to update this chore chart though. They actually do more chores now that they are older. :)


  • Originally, the kids only earned, I didn't take any away. However, they lose "Mommy Money" now if they disobey or fight.

    Another thing we did to get the kids to start cleaning their room on their own (we don't do it anymore b/c they can do it all by themselves) is I set the timer for 10 minutes. Then I told the kids they had to clean their room before the timer ran out. If they succeeded before the 10 minutes ran out then they got 10 little chocolate chips (any very small candy would work). If they ran out of time then I started taking away a chocolate chip for every minute they went over. So if they cleaned their room in 13 minutes they would only get 7 chocolate chips. But.... it went the other way too so my kids tried to beat the clock. For every minute under they got an additional chocolate chip. So, if they finished in 7 minutes they got 13 chocolate chips. See why we went with small candies?? hehe!! We only used this method for a month or so and they haven't used it for a long time now but it worked beautifully! LOVED IT!!

    What sort of reward methods do you use with your children?

    No comments: