Friday, December 10, 2010

After Wonderland there is a Looking Glass

I was reading an article the other day and it was discussing the view people have of women, how they expect them to look. It is unreal. The images that today's population are given are on magazines and tv. Many of the actresses are coated with so much make up that the general population can't recognize them when they're out in street clothes and no make-up. Magazines are airbrushed to give these women "perfect" bodies. How can our children, specifically, our daughters grow up in a world like this? I have the fortunate ability to just not care what others think of me. I've never cared about being popular or wearing the latest style. I have always had my own style and wore what I thought was "cool". However, not everyone is like that. If they see that outfit on the tv then they HAVE to have it. I am worried of what my daughter might be growing up in.

People help to instill unhealthy views everyday, not on purpose but they do. "I look fat." "I wish my nose was smaller." "I have to wear make-up to be pretty." It is not true. I want my daughter to grow up knowing that she is beautiful no matter what her body looks like. Her goals should be to be healthy and not to worry so much about her body shape/image. She is beautiful and doesn't need airbrushes or buckets or make-up. She just needs to be herself and enjoy that beautiful woman that she will be someday.
See how beautiful she is? Now, what am I going to do to help her have a fabulous body image as she grows up....
  1. No Barbies, Bratz dolls, or anything that will give an unrealistic view of the female sexuality.
  2. I will not verbalize my own flaws that I perceive when I look in the mirror. 
  3. I will encourage her to strive for a healthy body and not the model type body. I don't think a model body would really be too healthy anyways.
  4. I want to utilize television time for educational shows or family time to watch movies together. I don't want her to just watch random television. Often, the commercials are as bad as the tv show as far as influencing women's "perfect image".
  5. "feminism" will not be a four letter word in this home. She can be anything she wants to be. 
  6. We will emphasize academics and help her strive to do her best.
What will you do to help ensure your daughters have a healthy body image?

4 comments:

Tom and Juli said...

I totally agree with everything! Sadly women think "healthy" is thin... but in reality being too thin, or underweight (what most models and actresses are) is NOT healthy!

I wish women didn't have those pressures to be so thin. I have many of the same guidelines as you, like no Barbies etc. but I also refuse to have magazines in my home that promote an unrealistic female. We stick to "taste of home" and the church magazines. I have a random free subscription to vogue and I think Cosmo and they go in the trash before they're even cracked open!

Adelina Priddis said...

Love it! I guess this is something I haven't thought a whole lot about. We focus a lot on exercising and just keeping our bodies and minds healthy, rather than "perfect". We consistently use praise to tell the girls how beautiful they are. We do play with barbies though.

Diane H. said...

Two suggestions:
Stress accomplishments not just academics. There are lots and lots of accomplishments--learning to tie your shoes, cleaning your room, baking cookies, helping someone--you get the idea.

Second, check out the new Girls Scout programs based on their research.

Burrowing In said...

Good for you, Momma!!! I have 2 daughters and a little niece, and I worry for them everyday! I also have the same plan as you do, and I think it is working!